Background Photo

Background photo credit: Barry Campbell

Saturday 14 December 2013

Decorating for the holidays - Outdoor Pots

Decorating our homes' entrance is the start of holiday decorating for me.  This includes lights around my shrubs/trees and
decorating my pots. You can purchase a pre-made insert that will fit into your urn or you can have your pots decorated on site utilizing soil already in your containers.
Urn containers can be made in different sizes.  Here is a sample of a large pre-made urn container that would then just be inserted into an urn or pot.

I have very large pots in the front of my house so I decorated them using the existing soil. There are so many choices when it comes to choosing your evergreens.  I recommend using at least 3 different evergreens to add contrasting texture and colour thus giving it more dimension. I used white pine as my base evergreen and then added from there. I chose birch poles and red dogwood as my stems for the center. Once the evergreens are done it is time to add some accent items to fill gaps and add additional colour.  Accent items can range from specialty greens like Magnolia leaves or Eucalyptus to pine cones and glitter branches to fruits to outdoor balls and decorations.  The choice is yours.

Here are some samples of outdoor pots that are natural looking and will last the holiday season as well as throughout the winter months.


Don't forget a wreath or swag for your front door. I made a fairly simple fresh greens one for our front door seen here.

If you prefer a little more of a festive look add decorations (keep in mind that in our Eastern Canadian climate whatever you stick in the soil will end up frozen there until spring thaw. I suggest anchoring your decorations in a way that you can remove after the holiday season).

Lights can also be added for some extra sparkle.

A simple wreath using fresh greens.








No comments:

Post a Comment